McPhail Weblog Feb 13 2022

 

McPhail Baptist Church


“Carlisle Wall” (The Lovers) by Dante Gabriel Rossetti 





Prelude: 

Offertory on “Slane” (William France)



Hymn: “God Is Love, Let Heaven Adore Him”



Prayer      


We recognize O Lord, that Valentine’s Day is not properly a religious observance or a Sunday of the liturgical year. Yet we acknowledge that all love has its origin with You, and that human love is part of your divine creation, that when we mark Valentine’s Day we celebrate your image in us.


Help us more accurately to reflect that image, more enthusiastically to express that image, and more intentionally to embody that image.


May we enhance our love with patience, with forgiveness, with honesty, and with faithfulness. May we embellish our love with tenderness and express our love with sincerity. Above all, may we pattern our love after the selfless love of Jesus Christ for His Church. We pray this in His name. Amen.



Special Music: 

"Salut d'amour"(Love's Greeting) 

Margot Lange, violin



       The Scriptures            


1 Corinthians 13 (Good News Translation)


I may be able to speak the languages of human beings and even of angels, but if I have no love, my speech is no more than a noisy gong or a clanging bell. 2 I may have the gift of inspired preaching; I may have all knowledge and understand all secrets; I may have all the faith needed to move mountains—but if I have no love, I am nothing. 3 I may give away everything I have, and even give up my body to be burned—but if I have no love, this does me no good.


4 Love is patient and kind; it is not jealous or conceited or proud; 5 love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable; love does not keep a record of wrongs; 6 love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth. 7 Love never gives up; and its faith, hope, and patience never fail.


8 Love is eternal. There are inspired messages, but they are temporary; there are gifts of speaking in strange tongues, but they will cease; there is knowledge, but it will pass. 9 For our gifts of knowledge and of inspired messages are only partial; 10 but when what is perfect comes, then what is partial will disappear.


11 When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child; now that I am an adult, I have no more use for childish ways. 12 What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror; then we shall see face-to-face. What I know now is only partial; then it will be complete—as complete as God's knowledge of me.


13 Meanwhile these three remain: faith, hope, and love; and the greatest of these is love.



1 John 4:7-8,11-12, 21  (NRSV)


7 Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.


11 Beloved, since God loved us so much, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God lives in us, and his love is perfected in us.


21 The commandment we have from him is this: those who love God must love their brothers and sisters also.


Special Music: 

"Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" 

Sue Sparks, Organ, Ernie Cox, Piano



Hymn: “I Am So Glad”



Sermon: "More Love"

Rev. Ernie Cox



Hymn: “Love Divine, All Loves Excelling”


 


Benediction



Postlude: 

Fanfare on “Austrian” (Gordon Young)









   








Comments

  1. Lovely services.
    Happy Valentine's Day.
    I love you all.
    May our good Lord bless us with his love, that makes everyday a joy to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful service. I always remember Ernie saying at our wedding that marriages need resolute love. Hearing his sermon about love was inspiring. I chuckled when he told the story of loving the hell out of his congregation. I'm going to remember to apply that idea. Such nice music which is uplifting. My family and friends to whom I send the link enjoy the service too. We so appreciate the efforts of everyone involved especially at a time when we can't go to church physically. Thank you from all of us!! Laurel and Mark Tye

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment