McPhail Weblog Nov 22 2020

 

McPhail Baptist Church

Nov 22nd 2020



Prelude: “Lift Thine Eyes”

From the Oratorio 'Elijah' by Felix Mendelssohn

Sue Sparks 


Favourite Hymns

Ernie and Lynda Cox 




I Sing The Mighty Power of God


I sing the mighty power of God that made the mountains rise,

That spread the flowing seas abroad and built the lofty skies.

I sing the wisdom that ordained the sun to rule by day;

The moon shines full at his command and all the stars obey.


I sing the goodness of the Lord that filled the earth with food;

He formed the creatures with his word and then pronounced them good.

Lord, how your wonders are displayed wher-e’er I turn my eye,

If I survey the ground I tread or gaze upon the sky!


There’s not a plant or flower below but makes your glories known;

And clouds arise and tempests blow by order from your throne;

While all that borrows life from you is ever in your care,

And everywhere that I may be, you, God, are present there.


He Leadeth Me, O Blessed Thought


He leadeth me, O blessed thought, 

O words with heavenly comfort fraught!

What-e’er I do, where-e’er I be,

Still ‘tis God’s hand that leadeth me. 


Refrain:


He leadeth me, he leadeth me, by his own hand he leadeth me!

His faithful follower I would be, for by his hand he leadeth me. 


Lord, I would clasp thy hand in mine, 

Nor ever murmur nor repine,

Content, whatever lot I see, 

Since ‘tis my God that leadeth me. 


And when my task on earth is done, 

When by thy grace the victory’s won,

E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,

Since God through Jordan leadeth me. 


Put Thou Thy Trust In God


Put thou thy trust in God, in duty’s path go on;

Walk, in His strength with faith and hope, so shall thy work be done,

Give to the winds thy fears; hope, and be undismayed;

God hears thy sighs and counts thy tears, God shall lift up thy head. 


Through waves and clouds and storms He gently clears thy way;

Wait thou His time; so shall this night soon end in joyous day.

Leave to His sovereign sway to choose and to command;

So shalt thou, wondering, own His way, how wise, how strong His hand.


Thou seest our weakness, Lord; our hearts are known to thee:

O lift thou up the sinking hand, confirm the feeble knee. 

Let us, in life, in death, Thy steadfast truth declare,

And publish, with our latest breath, Thy love and guardian care.



Genesis 32:22-31 (NRSV)


Jacob Wrestles at Peniel

22 The same night he got up and took his two wives, his two maids, and his eleven children, and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 23 He took them and sent them across the stream, and likewise everything that he had. 24 Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he struck him on the hip socket; and Jacob’s hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. 26 Then he said, “Let me go, for the day is breaking.” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go, unless you bless me.” 27 So he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” 28 Then the man[a] said, “You shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel,[b] for you have striven with God and with humans,[c] and have prevailed.” 29 Then Jacob asked him, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And there he blessed him. 30 So Jacob called the place Peniel,[d] saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life is preserved.” 31 The sun rose upon him as he passed Penuel, limping because of his hip.




“LIMPING TOWARD HEAVEN”

Rev. Ernie Cox 



Special Music: 

“He's Got the Whole World in His Hands”

Vanessa London & Ernie Cox 


We welcome for the first time to the McPhail Weblog Vanessa London singing a beautiful arrangement

of “He’s Got the Whole World In His Hand.” Many of us have thrilled to Vanessa’s voice over the years,

and today’s presentation is no exception. Thank you, Vanessa. 




Hymn: “Dear Lord and Father of Mankind"

Sue Sparks


Note from Sue: The tune for today’s hymn choice is Repton, written by the English composer Sir Hubert Parry.  The tune Rest is most popular in North America, while Repton is sung mostly in the United Kingdom. 


Dear Lord and Father of mankind, forgive our foolish ways!

Reclothe us in our rightful mind; 

in purer lives thy service find,

In deeper reverence, praise, in deeper reverence, praise. 


In simple trust like theirs who heard, beside the Syrian Sea,

The gracious calling of the Lord, 

Let us, like them, without a word,

Rise up and follow thee, rise up and follow thee.


Drop thy still dews of quietness, till all our strivings cease;

Take from our souls the strain and stress, 

And let our ordered lives confess,

The beauty of thy peace, the beauty of thy peace. 


Breath through the heats of our desire thy coolness and thy balm;

Let sense be dumb, let flesh retire,

Speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire, 

O still small voice of calm! O still small voice of calm!



Announcements



*Congratulations to Bob and Joan Mott who are celebrating their 62nd wedding anniversary, today, November 22nd.  We wish them good health, and many more years together. 


*We are excited to now offer an e-transfer option for McPhail offerings. If you would like to make use of this option, offerings can be sent via online banking to offerings@mcphailbaptist.ca If possible, please include your envelope number in the memo line. For those who would prefer mailing in their offering, funds can be sent via post to: McPhail Baptist Church, 249 Bronson Ave, Ottawa, ON. K1R 6H6 We are deeply thankful for your ongoing support of this ministry!  



Benediction 

Ernie and Lynda Cox 



Postlude: “All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name”

Sue Sparks





Comments