McPhail Weblog Aug 30th 2020

 

McPhail Baptist Church

Aug 30th 2020


Prelude: “A Contemplative Prayer" 

(By David Lasky)

Sue Sparks


Favourite Hymns

Ernie and Lynda Cox 



Holy, Holy, Holy!


Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!

Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee.

Holy, holy, holy!  Merciful and mighty!

God in three persons, blessed Trinity!


Holy, holy, holy! All the saints adore thee,

Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;

Cherubim and seraphim falling down before thee,

Which wert and art, and evermore shalt be. 


Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!

All thy works shall praise thy name, in earth, and sky, and sea;

Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty!

God in three persons, blessed Trinity!


Teach Me Thy Way, O Lord


Teach me thy way, O Lord, teach me thy way!

Thy guiding grace afford—teach me thy way!

Help me to walk aright, more by faith, less by sight;

Lead me with heavenly light, teach me thy way!


When doubts and fears arise, teach me thy way!

When storm clouds fill the skies, teach me thy way!

Shine through the wind and rain, through sorrow, grief and pain;

Make now my pathway plain, teach me thy way!


Long as my life shall last, teach me thy way!

Wher-e’er my lot be cast, teach me thy way!

Until the race is run, until the journey’s done, 

Until the crown is won, teach me thy way!


Take My Life and Let It Be 


Take my life, and let it be

Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;

Take my hands, and let them move

At the impulse of Thy love;

At the impulse of Thy love. 


Take my lips, and let them be

Filled with messages for Thee,

Take my silver and my gold;

Not a mite would I withhold;

Not a mite would I withhold.


Take my love, my God, I pour

At Thy feet its treasure store.

Take myself, and I will be

Ever, only, all for Thee,

Ever, only, all for Thee.



Matthew 25:14-30 (NRSV)


The Parable of the Talents

14 “For it is as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them; 15 to one he gave five talents,[a] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 The one who had received the five talents went off at once and traded with them, and made five more talents. 17 In the same way, the one who had the two talents made two more talents. 18 But the one who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money. 19 After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. 20 Then the one who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you handed over to me five talents; see, I have made five more talents.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And the one with the two talents also came forward, saying, ‘Master, you handed over to me two talents; see, I have made two more talents.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 Then the one who had received the one talent also came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew that you were a harsh man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed; 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy slave! You knew, did you, that I reap where I did not sow, and gather where I did not scatter? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him, and give it to the one with the ten talents. 29 For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. 30 As for this worthless slave, throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’



“The Investment" 

Rev. Ernie Cox




Special Music: “Won't You Be My Neighbor?"

Owen Bueckert and Friends 


A few weeks ago,  Ernie mentioned Fred Rogers in his sermon. By chance, Owen has been practising a jazzy version of the theme song to Fred's popular children's TV show "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood". While not a worship song in the traditional sense, the lyrics of "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" remind us of God's commandment to love our neighbour as ourselves and to ask ourselves: who is our neighbour? Owen conscripted a couple of friends to record a part of the music while he made multiple recordings of himself on the piano, alto and baritone saxophones and mixed the results into a single video.





Hymn: "What A Friend We have In Jesus"

Sue Sparks


What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!

What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!

O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,

All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer!


 Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?

We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer!

Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?

Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer!


 Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?

Precious Savior, still our refuge—take it to the Lord in prayer!

Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer!

In his arms he'll take and shield you; thou wilt find a solace there.


Announcements


*This past Thursday at 3 p.m. 14 persons drove onto Chapel Crescent where Estella and Horatio Laing reside. With balloons streaming from some of the cars, we honked our horns,  and sang Happy Birthday to Estella who turned 95. Flowers, cards and good wishes were given to Estella, while her family looked on enjoying the occasion. A side benefit was that we were able to visit with church folks we haven’t seen in months! Our very best wishes to Estella, one of the dear ladies of McPhail. 


*We are excited to now offer an e-transfer option for McPhail offerings. If you would like to make use of this option, offerings can be sent via online banking to offerings@mcphailbaptist.ca If possible, please include your envelope number in the memo line. A special thanks to Steve Sparks and Samantha Helman for setting this up for us! For those who would prefer mailing in their offering, funds can be sent via post to: McPhail Baptist Church, 249 Bronson Ave, Ottawa, ON. K1R 6H6 We are deeply thankful for your ongoing support of this ministry! 


Benediction 

Ernie and Lynda Cox




Postlude: "Fantasia on Duke Street"

(By David Paxton)

Sue Sparks




Comments