Aug 16th 2020

 McPhail Baptist Church

Aug 16th 2020

Prelude: "Andante Tranquillo"
Sue Sparks 


Favourite Hymns
Ernie and Lynda Cox 

Ye Servants of God

Ye servants of God, your Master proclaim, 

And publish abroad his wonderful name; 

The name all-victorious of Jesus extol; 

His kingdom is glorious, he rules over all. 


God ruleth on high, almighty to save; 

And still he is nigh—his presence we have; 

The great congregation his triumph shall sing, 

Ascribing salvation to Jesus our King. 


Then let us adore and give him his right: 

All glory and power, all wisdom and might, 

All honor and blessing, with angels above, 

And thanks never ceasing, and infinite love.


I Need Thee Every Hour

I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord;

No tender voice like thine can peace afford.


Refrain: 

  I need thee, O I need thee, 

 Every hour I need thee;

   O bless me now, my Saviour,

 I come to thee!


I need thee every hour in joy or pain

Come quickly and abide or life is vain.


I need thee every hour, most Holy One;

O make me thine indeed, thou blessed Son!


It Is Well With My Soul

 When peace like a river attendeth my way,

 When sorrows like sea billows roll;

 Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,

“It is well, it is well with my soul."


Refrain 

It is well with my soul;

it is well, it is well with my soul.


My sin oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!

My sin, not in part, but the whole,

Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more;

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul! 


And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,

The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;

The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend;

Even so, it is well with my soul. 


Luke 19:41-44  (NRSV)

Jesus Weeps over Jerusalem

41 As he came near and saw the city, he wept over it, 42 saying, “If you, even you, had only recognized on this day the things that make for peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. 43 Indeed, the days will come upon you, when your enemies will set up ramparts around you and surround you, and hem you in on every side. 44 They will crush you to the ground, you and your children within you, and they will not leave within you one stone upon another; because you did not recognize the time of your visitation from God.


"The Strange Angel" 
Rev. Ernie Cox 


Special Music: Serenade
Margot Lange and Ernie Cox



Hymn: "All Creatures of our God and King"
Sue Sparks


All creatures of our God and King, 

Lift up your voice and with us sing 

Alleluia, Alleluia! 

Thou burning sun with golden beam, 

Thou silver moon with softer gleam, 

O praise him, O praise him, 

Alleluia, Alleluia, alleluia! 


All ye who are of tender heart,

Forgiving others, take your part, 

Sing his praises, Alleluia! 

Ye who long pain and sorrow bear,

Praise God and on him cast your care,

O praise him, O praise him, 

Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia! 


Let all things their Creator bless,

And worship him in humbleness,

O praise him, Alleluia!

Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son,

And praise the Spirit, three in one, 

O praise him, O praise him, 

Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!


Announcements

*No doubt you have heard of the recent devastating explosion in Lebanon. Our McPhail Partners In Mission are Elie and Mireille Haddad. Elie is head of the Arab Baptist Theological Seminary (ABTS) in Lebanon. The Haddads have opened their doors to welcome people who have lost their homes and they're helping with clean-up and food distribution for workers who are deployed to the explosion site.

The deacons would like to send a financial gift from McPhail’s benevolent fund to aid the Haddad's ministry of care in this time of suffering and rebuilding. If any of you would like to make a personal donation, please earmark any money sent (“PIM - The Haddads”) and we will ensure your gift joins the amount sent from the benevolent fund. 

*Last week a survey was sent out to you. Our goal was to try and get a sense of your feelings about a reopening date. These were the three survey options: 

1) I have deeply missed gathering together for worship and fellowship. I am eager to return and would prefer to see McPhail open this September for reduced capacity services.

2) I have some concerns about a possible COVID-19 spike in September as schools reopen. Although excited to return, I would prefer to wait until later in the fall before considering a gathering.

3) I have very significant concerns about the pandemic. I feel the risk outweighs the benefit of reopening services in 2020. I would prefer to wait until the new year and gauge the numbers and risk at that time.

As of today, here are the current results of the poll: 

As you can see, the second option is largely preferred. In the light of this, we will defer opening in September and continue to assess opening possibilities in the fall. However, we would encourage those who have not filled out the survey to do so. The more data we can gather, the better informed we are of your hopes and concerns. 

*Birthday wishes to Harrison Moo, son of Shadow Moo and Mu Mu Aye. Harrison turned 2 on Friday, August 14. 

*The Sept/Oct Upper Rooms are now available. If you would like a copy or copies, please send an email to the church or leave a phone message that you would like the Upper Room to be sent to you and we will send it by mail. 

Benediction 
Ernie and Lynda Cox


Postlude: "Trumpet Voluntary"
Sue Sparks





Comments

Post a Comment